November 9, 2008
Jesus, the Teacher
1. Who is your favorite teacher? Why?
Jesus is the world’s greatest teacher. He has millions of students all over the world today. Becoming a Christian means becoming one of Christ’s students. It means accepting Him as your teacher, and studying and learning what He has to teach.
Throughout the New Testament, we read that Jesus’ disciples often called Him “Rabbi”; that is the Hebrew word for “teacher”. Disciple comes from a Greek word that means “student or “learner”.
2. John 3:12, what does Nicodemus say that Jesus is?
Jesus’ teaching, like all teaching, has a WHAT and a HOW. What does Jesus teach us? I believe he teaches us these 5 things:
1. Knowledge (facts, information) about God, ourselves and the world.
2. Wisdom, which is how to use the knowledge to fulfill God’s purposes.
3. Skills and abilities, such as how to pray.
4. Good attitudes, such as confidence, courage, humility, and love.
5. Good habits, such as regular prayer and Bible Study.
How does He teach us these things?
1. By words ; spoken and in the Bible.
2. By example. Jesus set the example for us. He showed us the way we should live.
3. By activities and experiences. Just as we learn to swim by trying it, so we learn spiritual skills such as prayer, love, patience, trust and so on. We try them, learn from our mistakes, and get better as we continue, with Jesus’ guidance and help through the Holy Spirit.
3. In Matthew 11:29, Jesus says we should take or accept His yoke, and do what?
**A yoke is a wooden beam which is used between a pair of oxen to allow them to pull a load (oxen almost always work in pairs).
4. In John 7:16, Jesus says that His teaching is not HIS. Whose does He say it is?
We as Christians have to cooperate with our Teacher. This means studing what we are told to study, and doing what we are told to do. We must try to learn. If we do not make the effort, we will not learn.
As Christians we need to study the Bible, because it contains what Jesus wants to teach us. That includes everything in the Bible- both the Old Testament and the New Testament.
5. In Luke 6:40, Jesus says that when we are fully taught, Who will we be like?
6. In John 13:15, what does Jesus say He has given us?
7. In what ways do the teachings of Jesus disagree with the ideas and ways of the world in which we live?
8. Jesus often taught by using parables. What is a parable? Why is it an effective way to teach?
9. Name some of Jesus parables. (there are 7 in Matthew 13.)
10. Have you made a decision to have Jesus Christ be your teacher, and work hard at learning what He wants to teach you—RIGHT NOW, and for the rest of your life?
Bible Verse for November 22. …and I will make with you an Everlasting Covenant..” Isaiah 55:3