Archive for the ‘Girl Scouts’ Category
Each year our Girl Scout Service Unit does a all day craft day called "Winter Fun". I usually have some part in it, because well… I love crafts. Here is one of my crafty designs from this year.
Here's what you need:
- Fleece.. (we cut 100 fleece scarves that were 5.5" across.. on the fold)
- White felt for snowmen and women
- black felt for hat
- red felt for heart
- brown felt for arms
- orange for carrot nose
- glue (we used Tacky Glue)
- embroidery thread and needles (for older kids to embrodier the eyes)
- tiny black pom poms for the younger kids to use as the eyes
We couldn't get enough of one color fleece.. so we bought a couple of different colors.
Here's our diagram of the original.. we put on the board for the girls to make. I thought it was kind of cute that Mr. Snowman is giving Ms. Snowman his heart and she has her eyes closed.
To save time, we drew the the designs on the felt, and let the girls cut them out, and glue them on. Winter fun has all ages of girls from Daisy (Kindergarten) to Senior (High School).
Winter Fun isn't just for Girl Scouts.. we let #4 come and craft too!
For Winter Fun one of our crafts was bottle cap necklaces. These
are easy and fun to do. The supplies are a little tricky to find if
you don’t know where to locate them.
Here’s what you need:
Here’s a close up of the washers and magnets.
- Bottle Caps (you can get plain ones cheap on eBay) or recycle your own.
- Small magnets about 1/4 of the size of a dime. You need one for each necklace ( I bought these on eBay too)
- Cord. You can use anything.. but I found these faux suede adjustable necklace cord on.. where else? eBay.
- Buttons or charms
- Permanent marker
- paper (for the circles)
- clear “mod podge” type glue.
- small Stiff paint brushes
- toothpicks (sometimes help to place rhinestones or stickers)
- Stickers that will fit inside the bottle cap. (We bought ours at Hobby Lobby)
- Washers.. You will need as many of these as you are have cord for.
Cut out a paper circle and glue it to the bottle cap. You can see
that my circle is NOT perfect. If you have one of those Cricut things
you could use that to cut out more perfect circles.
Swipe a thin coat of glue over the paper.
Add some glitter.
Add a button.. and the thick modge podge type glue on top.. let it dry.
Add the magnet to the back of the bottle cap, and then attach it
to the washer on the necklace.. and you are done!
Felt Heart Clips
These could be crafts for Winter Fun, a Valentine’s Party or as a teacher gift. We chose hearts (because it was close to Valentine’s Day)
Here’s what you need to complete the craft
- felt shapes
- needles (with eyes big enough for your girls to thread themselves)
- magnetic needle holder. (You don’t really need this, but it is REALLY helpful)
- Thread I like to use tatting thread or DMC Floss. Regular thread is too thin
- clothes pins
- glue (hot or elmers)
The craft could have just buttons sewn on it for Brownies or Daisies..
If you are working on a needlework badge some girls might want to try
their hand at embroidery.
Make sure you knot their thread…
Once they have lined their initial, help them tie it off on the back.
Add a couple of buttons.. glue the clothes pin to the back.. and you are done!
For this one, I chose red and white.
These could be given as teachers gifts, just embroider GRADED and
NOT GRADED on the shape. Your teacher will love them!
I’ve done these with mittens and used them as Christmas Ornaments.