I woke up this morning and got ready for church. I took 2 of my 5 children with me (we need to be at church earlier than the Man and the other children).
I seem to have the worst luck when it comes to getting my food through the drive-thru. I went back to the Golden Arches today.. to get my McGriddle I did not receive last week. I called them last Sunday, let them know what they did…and gave them my name. Can you believe the snarky chick behind the counter gave me grief TODAY? I gave her my best “mom” voice and finally received my product.
I headed to church and to my confirmation class… (they are some of my favorite 7th and 8th graders on this planet). Unfortunately they did not want to be photographed this am..
No that is not a kid asleep.. he’s awake really..
They are not on the phone or looking at their nails.. they are praying…
Look these two look sort of interested..
Um.. ok.. it’s really them not their teacher.
So after church I headed BACK to McDonald’s. Why you ask? Because I had plans to take child #3 to the American Girl Tea Party at the library. Some of you would say.. “Why didn’t you go home?” and to you I say; “You must not live in the country!” We live so far outside of town, that it’s better to stay in town and use the WiFi in the Golden Arches then drive home only to turn around and come back. My 2 hours in town waiting wasn’t suppose to be very eventful.. but let me tell you it was… I wish I would have brought my camera in.. to prove what happened.
Now the layout of our McDonald’s is like most McDonalds; except ours only has 2 spots with plug-ins, and both were taken. I saw my favorite spot by the RedBox had one lonely man sitting there. He looked nice enough, so I asked him if #3 and I could sit there. He said; “Sure”. We chatted about .. where we live etc.. And then the older men started to arrive. When I say older.. I mean men that could be my father. They arrived at the table with all kinds of stories…. Here’s some of what I learned today:
- Ottawa Ks used to have a Montgomery Wards, and City Hall ran it off…
- The Swimming Pool in Ottawa was segregated in the 1950’s.
- Some of the men went to a 1 room school house.. the same school house I had my wedding reception (and vote in).
- They love to talk about the river and one of them even ice skated on it for nine miles. A couple others even were Baptisted there.
- They called me “mixed” company, and caught themselves before they said anything bad
- I think it’s cute they asked about my Dad and where I was from.
- A couple of them went to school with one of my neighbors.. and if he knew when that neighbors wife was making “creamed turnips” he would drive STRAIGHT to their house. “You’ve never had anything like Bessie’s creamed turnips”.
- I think these men have driven every square inch of this county, and the knowledge they have in their head! Holy Smokes they are so cool to listen to!
- They are as enchanted with German Baptists as I am.
- They accepted me into their group.. like I had been there forever
I only wish I had brought my camera in.. If I had you would have seen 6 men vary in ages from 40ish to 80 ish.. that get together to talk about the weather, politics, women, friendships, crops, money and everything else in between there.
Child #3 and I left our new friends, and headed to the library for our tea…
Child #3 and her American Girl Doll.. in matching outfits..
Check out these sugar cookies.. so cute.
#3 and one of her friends
#3 and her SWAG from the tea party.. We also received a photo of her and the doll in a silver photo frame.